> Eine Familie in Freiburg: Post

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Post

The mail here is called the Post. It arrives through a mail slot next to our door. And it is brought by a mail carrier on bike.


I love this about Germany! I love that there are yellow bikes and hand carts and motor cycles with small trailers attached. I think it's great that those mail carriers don't have to be hauling mail in bags that make them walk bent over and that they can get around faster by using a bike. One reason this works, I've discovered is because there are spots where said bike mail carrier can reload. These places look like utility boxes, like below.


The mail is dropped there by a truck and the mail carrier on bike reloads all their saddle bags and baskets and continues on their way. I think I even saw someone in training to be a dropper and they had something to scan a bar code on the box or on the mail they dropped to track it. Or maybe it told them which box of mail they should put in or how much there is supposed to be. Anyway, with that kind of technology, I'm sure it could be efficient.

I don't see many reasons why this couldn't happen in some places in the US. Yes, you will always have areas where this doesn't make sense, but in cities it makes perfect sense. And in a place like say, Montpelier or Burlington, where they already are Greenies, I think people would love it. I mean, really, if mail carriers already just go back to their trucks to reload when walking around a neighborhood, they could just go to their bike. I'm sure at least a few walking routes could switch over.

1 comment:

  1. I love that you appreciate this. I had a similar reaction to a similar mail set up in France. I think vast areas of the US are too spread out for walking or bdeign delivery. But it could work in key areas.

    ReplyDelete