Today is good weather! Beautiful snow on every twig and needle, und etwas Sonne (and some sun)!
Baked brownies this morning. I was going to last night but Edwin would not sleep nor allow to be handed off. Everything was ready this morning, so we made the brownies first then breakfast. (We needed the bowl to mix the pancake batter.)
We were packing today. I nursed Edwin to sleep on the floor on the lambskin in the living room where all the packing is happening. We've been culling things pretty hard too. Last night we sold a bunch of kitchen things and rugs to a guy who offered 40 euros! We talked him down to 20, since half of it we were given or found, and the rest wasn't fabulous. It was nice to see things go. The place is looking bare. And yet all off our packing is spread out all over. We're really counting down.
I'm getting really excited for my parents to visit, for so many reasons. New company, help exploring, singing, other diaper changers, sending things home, getting new things from home, different cooking styles, etc. Who knows what John's schedule will be, but no matter, I'll have company.
Last night Edwin slept so well, in three hour stints, and I felt so rested. It's funny how waking up three times in the night can still leave one feeling rested.
Everything is pretty disjointed, I'll admit, but that's kind of how it is right now. In my brain.
Recently, I've been thinking about the list that we started keeping "things we like about Finland". We have a few things to add. Like Virve, the Public Health Nurse. How great she is/was! We had our last appointment with her and it was kind of sad. She's taken the time to get to know us and not just because she's nice, but because it's her job. It's great that that is what healthcare is here. It would be amazing to find that elsewhere. John and I actually talked about this on the way to the final appointment. Our main dream was a midwifery practice that would grow into a midwifery and pediatrics practice and then into midwifery and complete family care. We were thinking about the midwifery model of care and how it would be so nice to continue to take your child to a practitioner who's partner in practice just attended the birth, and so on. And just be known as a person to the healthcare provider. Not a file and not symptoms... Would a midwifery practice ever go this route in expansion? Does anyone practice family medicine any more? I read a great book two years ago about a rural doctor in Ohio. Granted, he served many Amish families, but not exclusively... Anyway, Virve, she was great, and she offered to answer any questions by email. Of course she also said she would just like to hear from us and hear how we are doing. Her final advice was "keep the love between you". <3
Something else I have new appreciation for in Finland is little sprayers in the bathroom next to the toilet. Handy for all kinds of things, especially spraying poopy diapers before they go into the yuckbuck. John has promised me one. I hope we can find them in the USA later in life.
I think it's time for bed. Edwin is out and I'm fading. John is loving cuddling Edwin, and I like it too.
No comments:
Post a Comment