Our trip to France started with buying Edwin a snowsuit (but no boots) on Thursday then a big food shopping trip and car rental on Friday. John and Brian had been working with their respective groups all day on their group projects which had to be ready for presentation on Monday. (John says his day was painful.) But all that got put behind us as we set out with John's hand drawn map and a loaded down economy car at 8:30 pm.
There aren't many, or any, photos from the first night. We arrived around 11:30 pm and immediately gorged on pizza as it came out of the oven. Edwin had woken up when we arrived so he was alert and got busy playing with the toys provided. Needless to say, we went to bed pretty late.
Edwin and I woke up at 7:15 am. Right on schedule! I made coffee, ate some bread, took some pictures and then distracted Edwin by taking a bath together in the wooden Jacuzzi tub in the "spa", which also included a two to three person Infrarouge sauna. We bathed for about an hour. I accidentally turned on the jets at one point which really scared Edwin. There were some out of the water which were at his head height and sprayed him right in the face full force. Opps.
After a breakfast of french toast (the first or second time ever eating it for a few people!), we got moving toward a cross country skiing park. We had some mishaps (places closed for lunch), but we got there. I used skis that Lisa brought which were unfortunately a little big and skate skis. I cannot skate ski.
But I went around once on said skis and it was pretty fun. Edwin was having fun for the most part, but at this point he had been awake for a long time and was super tired. John had him for most of the first round.
It was gorgeous weather. The sunlight shining on the trees which had just been snowed on the night before. The branches were very weighed down and often one received a sprinkle from above.
I got Edwin at some point. He was so tired and tried to nurse to sleep but was disrupted by the different motion of skiing. Then as I came down a hill I couldn't veer away from Mark who was in my path. So I went down with Edwin. It startled him, but he didn't get crushed or anything. But from then on I was pretty done too. I side stepped up the last hill. The biggest problem, which I didn't foresee and maybe I'm spoiled, is that none of the skis had scales (I think that's the correct term), so going up hill was really hard on everyone.
The group then split up and some rested and got cocoa while others went round again. (Go around again!) Edwin and I went in and hung out. We stayed in after that, while the others went back out to do a bigger loop. Edwin fell asleep right before John, Brian and Abel came inside for their rest.
We sat and watched the downhill skiing. It reminded me so much of Hickory and Little Tupper. A great little ski place with small lines and button lifts (a disk attached to a bar that you put between your legs, like riding a broom stick).
I was already feeling a little down, with not being able to ski well and being tired, but then I became quite nostalgic looking out the window. I wanted to be in NY downhill skiing. I was also feeling frustrated that I didn't bring my knitting to the ski place, because here I was with a sleeping baby and nothing to do. It was the perfect time, but I had thought "There's no reason to drag it everywhere and get nothing done. Don't be antisocial." Oh well.
Edwin looks like he's been working hard but don't let him fool you!
We got home and the fondue making began. We are enjoying it! Don't let the picture make you think otherwise. I took the picture after eating a ton, so everyone is just really full of cheese and bread. The salad got eaten too, but we ate probably over 40 Euro of cheese. Lisa told us how many kilos she bought but I forget.
We divied up the leftovers. Hence my post yesterday about cheese. I looked again and we have fourteen kinds of cheese. I knew it was possible, but really?
That's about it for the first day. Oh yes, we played Settlers of Catan and Team John and Abel won, of course. And now the game is back with Brian. I'm thinking of having Mom pack up the pieces in cloth bags and bring them over, but that's probably a bad idea. John and I won't stop playing.
There will be more tomorrow, but it's mostly just snowy goodness. If you are dreaming of snow, like we are now that we are back, you can indulge yourself tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment