> Eine Familie in Freiburg: Weekend

Monday, December 3, 2012

Weekend

I feel like I've been neglectful of updating this space, and in many ways I have. John's been on the computer now for about 4 days straight working on his independent study. Once he is off in the evenings, I'll sit down for a minute, but mostly I just check my email quickly. Pictures are also sometimes hard to get on the computer quickly, mostly due to the very full camera card.


But here we are! Edwin and John napping. I'm knitting when I should be quilting, as usual. It's snowing outside. Just a quiet afternoon.


Yesterday was the first sun we had seen in about a week and it was perfectly frosty so we got out in the morning and hiked around.




This morning we woke up to an inch of snow covering our windows and again we ate breakfast and then tromped outside and into the woods. Edwin fell asleep, so we kept walking as to not wake him prematurely. (When we arrive home he sometimes wakes up due to taking off shoes, etc.)


It was a wet snow that blanketed trees and bushes in a beautiful way. Just right for the first snow. I just hope it lasts and keeps coming.

The Christmas Market will be really nice if it's snowy! We stopped in Friday night on our way home from the University library and it was very crowded and overwhelming. Everyone standing around with their Gluhwein (mulled wine) and smoking and just so many people.


We are hardly ever out in the evening / night so it was nice to see the moon and stars, the lights and the birds! Wow!


In other news Edwin has been loving baths and so we've been trying to do them more often. It's not a bed time routine thing for us though. If we try that, at night, he usually is more awake, though if we do a bath other times, he often goes to sleep afterwards.


There is so much that happens here on the weekends it seems! We also had Brian over to play Settlers of Catan. We spied it in his sublet room when over for a meal about a week ago and promptly made a date to teach it to him. I'm glad he enjoyed himself. Sometimes he has an air of being too cool, like he's just humoring us. Maybe he is...

I reaffirmed my love of having people over. Mostly for the motivation to clean up! I'm looking forward to Mom's arrival. I'm thinking about more decorations. I hung the wreath up and need to get my hands on materials for other projects. The poinsettia really helps me feel festive. Abel brought it as a Thanksgiving gift, and some people scolded him saying we would be offended because Thanksgiving wasn't over yet. Silly, silly. 

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I love that you're using this space again. Great photos and account of your lifestyle! I also like the summary of things you liked about Finland.

    Also, can you receive packages at that address, or only letters?

    ReplyDelete