> Eine Familie in Freiburg: A Place at the Table

Saturday, October 27, 2012

A Place at the Table




I'm so glad we were able to find a seat for Edwin to sit in while eating! And after eating much of the yogurt with a spoon, I decided to let him go at it. He drank the rest of the yogurt and also put his fingers in the "cup"  like he does with any drink. That shirt had gone strong for a few days, but now it's in the dirty cloths bin!

We found the seat at a great baby/kids second hand store which is behind die Bahnhof (the train station). They also have new things there, like some really nice wool pants, but I'll be back to look at the second hand things for sure! Yesterday we also went to the bigger, cheaper thrift store out in the middle of no where. That is, it's not on our route to anywhere, so we made a special trip. The walk reminded us a lot Finland. The neighborhoods were nice. The walking paths went past homes and sport fields and through parks. We went past a nice looking Fleisch Markt (butcher) and bakery. Yum! We also saw two creepers in the bushes. It could have been the same man twice, but it was just weird. Anyway, we got some children's books, a wooden bowl for Edwin (which he just want's to pick up and play with of course), a wooden spatula (the one we have has holes in it and is uber frustrating to clean after cooking eggs), pants for John, and a plain shirt for me (we won't be able to get our things out of storage until next weekend). It might be a good place to find some unique Christmas presents. Anyone want a beer stein? There was, unfortunately, not much crafty stuff.

In other news, it's snowing! It was more sleety earlier, but now it's just snow. I took pictures earlier, but I think it has accumulated since. Our landlady was kind of incredulous. "Schnee" (snow) was all she said as I headed out the door to empty our compost. I'm not sure if I should be engaging more in conversation. We often have awkward moments as we come in from the store, etc. It's made more awkward by not know what is generally polite or impolite. Like when we arrived we said no to coffee and cake, which might have been very rude, but too late. I thought about it later and we could have said something about travelling and plane food and our stomachs being upset, but instead John just said "not yet". She later put it on a plate and we brought it upstairs. (That reminds me I should return the plate.)

Here is some snow!

From looking down out our "dining room" window...


To looking left down the garden path, which leads to the walking path....

 

to looking up into the orchard, or field.


No comments:

Post a Comment