Are there any books you would recommend? I have access to tons of classics and if there's any that I got good recommendations for then maybe I would try one. The selection of English books at the local library is actually pretty good. I am finishing an Alice Hoffman book now and have another one that I checked out Friday by an Chinese American author. I want to read another Margaret Atwood book but there are so many! Same with the classics. That's why I need suggestions.
John and I went to another new store yesterday, Prisma, to buy yarn. I got a great ride on the back of the bicycle, but then walked back alone because he rode on to play soccer. I enjoyed the walk a lot, even though it is still cold and overcast. I noticed more color coming in. There are many planted maples along the streets along with aspen and mountain ash. The mountain ash get kind of brown and spotty while they are changing to red. But the maples are starting to get a little more vibrant. And I noticed more and more of them on the walk home along Noljakantie. There are also many golden leaves. The aspens and the birches, but only a few have been breath taking. They seem to be turning slowly and spottily. It's a mix of green and yellow, not even a progression from the bottom to the edges of the tree.
The thing I've been missing is the crisp leaves. The dry leaf smell that's there because of the sun, even if the day is cool. The piles of leaves that you can wade through. I hope you all are enjoying those smells. All that makes autumn so wonderful. Apples and cider, pumpkins and pie. And warm sun but cool air.
John and I have been talking about hosting an American Thanksgiving. Last night we talked about the menu and how we would do it, and who would come. Then we also have to wonder if the Canadians will beat us to it, since theirs is approaching quickly. We've been a little disappointed in the social scene. Lack of enthusiasm for anything but drinking and bars and dancing. There have been dinner parties too but they are just precursors for everyone else, for us it is the event. We've had people over for dinner and look forward to more of it. We would love to learn how to cook some food from other parts of the world. We look forward to teaching Bridge and playing cards more often. I'm pretty happy we have each other. I feel sad thinking about the individuals we aren't drinkers or partiers and who might be sitting in their apartments with their awkward Finnish flatmates in the other room. We need to think of some more good clean fun activities to encourage. John thinks dry ice would be fun to play with, but I don't know if you can get that in grocery stores here. I wish we had more board games or something. I guess we could do a homemade Pictionary. Any other ideas? Remember English is a second language for most!
I've been really enjoying classical music lately. I found I had "Jupiter" on the computer and now I want to get recordings of the rest of the planets. I found NPR has a lot I can listen too while I'm online in the library. I haven't been getting very far on the guitar. I bought metal strings when I was in Richmond, which I didn't even think about. I should have gotten nylon. They are super expensive here, so if anyone feels inclined to send a letter with strings smuggled into it... John has been playing a lot. Just diddling but it's nice to not just have recorded music on all the time.
Here's a picture for you. Bicycles outside. There were more behind me too. The brick building you can see is the library and there are places for many more bikes there.
I think I'll go. Time has not flown by as usual, so maybe I'll look up recipes for soups. Enjoy autumn!
Hi there! Fall is not quite here yet but much better weather for biking!
ReplyDeleteI waited til I was 50 to read Jane Austin but I recommend those, keeping in mind the state of women back then. Newer movies tend to forget that most women didn't think of themselves as deserving happiness...
Also, Christy by Catherine Marshall if you haven't read it. Linda
We always have fun with Yahtzee (more so triple Yahtzee) we have the score sheets that we could send, but at least that's numbers and not words. Charades could be interesting (as could Pictionary that you already mentioned)
ReplyDeleteI'll keep thinking on more games!