> Eine Familie in Freiburg: John's Hat

Thursday, September 29, 2011

John's Hat

Finished!

We've been reading an English translation of a Finnish trilogy by Väinö Linna. It follows one family for at least 3 generations starting in the 1880's. It focuses on the family but in the context of the socialist uprising and WWI, and Finnish Independence. The first one, which we finished yesterday, was good, but I'm afraid this one will just be sad. John has been reading out loud while I knit or do dishes or cook. He's lucky I'm entertained! Last night, when we started the second book of the trilogy, I finished his hat!


This shows the colors more true. (John's looking in the mirror.)

 
But this is artsier, and shows the decreases. He thought that was part of the style

I'm not sure about the stripe and it's placement. Whether I should have done some stockinette stick in grey before starting the blue. Maybe made the rib shorter, but the stockinette longer. He likes it though! He kept wearing it in the house and then decided it really was too warm of a hat for inside. Good. He said he had this notion that homemade hats weren't warm. The ones he had seen seemed thin, so he didn't know a warm one could be done. Surprise!

Now the question is, is this hat an early birthday present? An anniversary present? Or none of the above? Just made with love. I don't know if it needs to be labeled.

No comments:

Post a Comment