> Eine Familie in Freiburg: Knitting

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Knitting

I finally got to start John's hat. I don't have pictures yet, but that's because I just started. This hat will be nice and thick, as it doubles Fishermen's Wool and the same color of 75% wool / 25% acrylic that I bought here. I found a great book in the local library called Knits Men Want. They are plain and simple patterns. It will be mostly greyish tan, and then have a blue stripe in the middle. When he had this idea for a hat he also had the idea of the babe having a matching sweater. I'll have to figure that one out later, but I'm making sure I have enough yarn for both.

I also got a book from the library called Mostly Mittens, which is patterns from the Russian Komi people. They look awesome, but since I haven't done patterning before and haven't knit mittens before, I'm hesitant. I also will, of course, have to go yarn shopping again. I might have to wait until there is a sale.

We get fliers in our mail slot and mail box everyday for every store in town. Sometimes though, when we go to the store, we can't find the discounted item. Or we see from the start that it's only discounted if you have a card. In one store the card costs 8 euro, which might be worth it. (Of course the longer we wait, the less worth it it is.) Other times it just seems tricky. I see an advertisement in the store and think it's on sale, then feel foolish when trying to check out. This happened with yarn lately.

The one thing we have found is that the stores discount for everyone alike at 30%. They all have stickers to stick to meat or other perishables that are orange and say -30%. We often walk down the meat aisle and see what's on sale. We would by bread at the same discount, but I've been baking it. Too bad yeast and flour don't go on the 30% off cycle. It's just kind of funny that it's always thirty.

So I'll have to keep an eye out for yarn. And I'll have to decide what color to make my mittens!

This afternoon John has class until 2pm. Again with only a 15-20 minute break for lunch. Same as yesterday, except yesterday it was a surprise. But this class ends on Monday. They have only had reading and a group project. He's getting annoyed at the group presentations in every class. He will also have an exam. I'm not sure what class comes next.

Time to go home on this rainy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment