> Eine Familie in Freiburg: I'm Here

Monday, September 12, 2011

I'm Here

I'm here.

We have been working for the past week to get really set up. That includes everything from buying furniture to large grocery shopping trips to just getting oriented. We have walked all around this city and it is absolutely wonderful to take the bike paths everywhere. The walk to the university is about 3 km and it goes through the woods almost the whole way. And when I say bike paths you need to picture a hard pack dirt and small small gravel road wide enough for a car. That's how they are in the woods and on some side streets. The other bike paths, along the roads, are paved blacktop and are again at least a car lane in width. The pedestrian/bike crossings are very friendly and many of them make the car go over a very wide speed hump, which is the cross walk. The best thing is no one stops for you. I know that sounds counter intuitive, but actually everyone seems to have an understanding that everyone can keep moving. So you time your walking across the cross walk to the car and the car slows a little but trusts that you will be walking fast enough. No one has to stop and wait, and no one is really speeding along. I think the speed limit is around 35-40 mph. There are places on busier roads where it's wise to use the cross walk buttons and request a "Walk now" symbol, but in most places it's quiet enough streets that you just do it.

Anyway, walking is great and I've been feeling it in my legs!

I wanted to put up a few pictures. There are many peculiarities to describe and I do not need to do them all now. I just want to give you an idea of what it looks like, so you can read later and picture where it's all happening!


Our living room has lots of furniture now. when I got there John had only gotten the right couch and the little table to it's side that has the computer sitting on it. Then we went and bought, all in one morning, the table, the chair, the rug, the lamp and the second couch, which I actually really like by the way. The walls are still blank, but this is where we will be hanging some framed photos. Maybe a wedding photo, a picture of our pigs, maybe one of Nevis. Whatever they are our criteria is bright and colorful! Which actually doesn't fit for most of the pictures we have. If you have any ideas for decorating, don't hesitate to let me know! The kitchen table is where the bottom left corner of this photo is and I am standing in the kitchen. With small spaces it's sometimes hard to get perspective.


Again, a funny perspective. This is the front door plus another door. They have one that locks automatically and one that you can shut and then have people come in without a key or someone inside opening it. Peculiar. the bathroom door is right after the open door on the left. There is a place to hang coats and put shoes on the right when you come in, then a closet. That is a mirror reflecting John. And the kitchen is on the other side of the wall of the closet and coat place. Comprende o no? The bedroom is behind me, and I realized my picture is pretty bad, so you'll have to wait. But you can see part of the bathroom!


It came with the curtain and decorations. The floor is kind of sloped to the drain, but you really can't leave anything on the floor or it will get wet. The door jam has a lip, which I have stubbed my toes on already a few times, so the water doesn't get out. It's kind of a good idea. Less infrastructure I guess. There are shelves behind me and the toilet is on the same wall as the sink. Door is to my right.

Well... That should be it for now. This was a lot as it is! Please update each other if you get an email or postcard. I'll do my best, but be conscientious of who doesn't or can't get updates via internet. Call Grandma and Grandpa and Gran'mere. Print a picture out and send it or take it with you when you visit. I'll be sending them post cards of course, but I'll try to send everyone different info, so share with each other too!!

Love you all!
Emily

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting so many photos of your new home and surrounds. I love seeing how different countries' architects solve the same design challenges in different ways! I also hope your new flat is warm and toasty when winter comes. Love, Bob :-)

    ReplyDelete