I went to a great group last night: Liekku. It is a big group that has about 6 subgroups that meet and talk about parenting, pregnancy, etc. I went last night to a session that was about baby equipment. It was nice, despite the awkwardness of being translated to. I felt like the presenter, who spoke in Finnish, was just talking to me. There weren't that many other people there, but I felt bad. The women who translated was really nice and we talked for awhile on the side, when more people came and smaller discussions began.
I learned that the group has many things for rent. You can rent cloth diapers, breast pumps, carriers. Or you can just try them and see if that is the product you want to buy. They own two TENS machines, which I'm going to ask more about. If anyone has opinions or first hand experience please let me know. It's a machine that the women controls which gives shocks for pain relief. At least that's my rudimentary understanding.
They also have women in the group who are trained in giving breastfeeding help and women who can help you use a carrier in the right way or just find one that's good for your body type. They told me a few places to buy maternity and breastfeeding clothes in town.
I think I will go again, but like I said. I don't want to take away from everyone else's experience because they are trying to translate, etc. On the other hand, it was at least nice that they paid attention to me. Some moms were really young looking. Oh, and they are going to help find a doula, or at least put out the call and see if anyone is interested.
I was telling John after that if Finnish people were a little more expressive than the language barrier wouldn't be so hard. They could at least nod or move their eye brows! Oh well..
It was nice to talk to women about everything; how it works in Finland, as well as just pregnancy and babies. And of course it was nice to have kids around. The youngest was 7 months, the oldest 3 years, and the numbers increased from 3 to 6. People are free to come and go, so the numbers and dynamics changed over the two hour session.
I came home to a great dinner of shepherd's pie my made John. I got read to last night and started knitting a pig. I might do some baby mittens in a two color pattern. Yea for using all the yarn I have.
No comments:
Post a Comment