> Eine Familie in Freiburg: Like I said DARK

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Like I said DARK

It's almost nine, but it feels like 6 or 7 am in the quiet movements of everyone around, and the darkness of course. I got up with John this morning at :.gasp:: 7 am. He had class at 8 am, so we peddled quickly to get here after having a not so healthy breakfast. "But it says on the label that Nutella on toast is part of well balanced breakfast!" We were out of eggs and really low on milk, so we were limited in our breakfast options. Milk comes in 1 or 1.5 L containers so they go quickly. Eggs come in 6, 10 or 15 egg packages.

The babe has been rolling around lot. Last night we watched a little of the action, but more I've been trying to feel what each bump is. It always moves pretty quickly away, so I don't have too much time to guess. Whenever I'm in the library, I play music for the babe to listen to. Right now it's Peter Paul and Mary's I have a song to sing O. Sometimes it's the Beat Authority from NCPR. There is also music to listen to at NPR.org. I guess it's not as good as me singing, but it's fun. I usually have to pick what I want to hear first.

Well.. there's not much to update about. John's classes make me more frustrated than him. For example, his silviculture class is teaching theories from 40 years ago that have been since proven false. And most of the class isn't about silviculture. And the Finnish University system is so silly. They meet for 5 lectures each an hour and half long. They started the class yesterday and they take the exam next THURSDAY! I could see how this could work if the topic wasn't so broad, but that's all the silviculture they get. I could see 2 week classes working if it was like Colorado College. We calculated how much stipend he's getting per hour of class and it seems like they could send him to weekend forestry conferences in the US, every weekend for a school year and he would get more out of it and it would be cheaper. It's just nuts. BUT, we must remind ourselves that expectations were set low in the beginning to mitigate the disappointment. And that he's getting time to read some good material available in the library.

Plus, I get a lot of time to knit. I'm not sure if that makes up for it all. It's not as fun if I could be somewhere else knitting. Oh well. Here we are.

On the other hand, we may move. We still don't know what's going on with the internship placements, but heard a little bit of news yesterday, so hopefully it will keep coming.

Well.. that's about it folks. Pizza party on Friday. Maybe teaching some Bridge on Sunday afternoon.

2 comments:

  1. Hey there little sis....
    I didn't know if you had the link to Robin's blog or not but thought you might enjoy looking at pictures of the twins that she has posted. www.billandbob.com

    I'm really enjoying your pictures... people at school have seen some of them too so we're all kinda following along. I really like the design of the huts and such in your first set of hiking pictures and then the Lapland pictures. I know you were looking for ideas of things to do.... maybe you could find a puzzle or something in one of the thrift stores to do... do you want one for Christmas ;) (I remember the one year when you asked for puzzles and got almost exclusively puzzles!) I know it's not as productive in the sense that you are actually accomplishing something, but it might be a nice way to take a break from the knitting-- give your hands and fingers a rest from the rigorous repetitive motion. Just an idea. Or, you could take up drawing or painting... so low cost, but also fun, I guess.

    Well, I better be going. It's about an hour before bedtime here and it's back at it tomorrow at school.

    Love you lots!
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, John's classes sound miserable. I love your idea of doing weekend conferences elsewhere instead! I hope he scores a fantastic internship somewhere that will make you both happy. In the meantime, keep writing because it's a good way to mitigate the stress (and we like reading about your adventure!) Love, Bob :-)

    ReplyDelete