> Eine Familie in Freiburg: No one knows where I am, but me

Monday, October 31, 2011

No one knows where I am, but me

The title is what my bike is saying, because it got stolen! Well at least it wasn't around this morning. And I realized I didn't lock it after I used it yesterday, so it went unlocked all night. Dang. At least all that went into it was 8 euro. But I had gotten used to biking and not walking...

Well.. The weekend was full for sure! We attended a birthday pizza party on Friday. The pizza wasn't up to our standards, but it was nice to socialize a little and talk to Germans about learning German. We stayed out late. But on Saturday morning we slept in a little, ate pancakes, then headed outside because it was SUNNY!


We started and ended at the lake. Doing a little loop around what appeared to be a historical farm, but couldn't tell. They had very well kept traditional fences though.


We had fun thinking about how you would start making such a fence and what it could contain and how long it would last.

Then we found this drying barn of sorts with little logs holding gaps between the logs of the walls and then with pegs holding the logs together.


John enjoyed looking at the structural design too.

Then we spent the rest of the afternoon finishing the last book in our trilogy and knitting. The sun was still coming in and that was very nice!


I guess we are lucky to have windows facing the sun!

I started some knitting projects recently and have come close to finishing them. I still have 4 projects on the needles, but that's okay, right?

On Friday night I started little mittens. They are tiny, and I have to find the motivation to make the second, but here's the first.


All that's left is a three needle bind off which I had to wait to look up on the internet.

Then I also started a felted stuffed pig, which I started sewing up this morning, but had to stop because I need stuffing.


That's the top folded in half. Hopefully it will look good once felted...

That was Saturday. Saturday night we had our kitchen light bulb burn out and we were done with our book, so we decided to take another walk. It was really nice, and I'm sure we'll be doing more of it. We did a lot of talking about farming and what the priorities will be: A cow or horses first? Haying machinery before either? Hm...

Sunday was a classic Daylight Savings story. We got up, ate, and sat around. We knew we needed to go grocery shopping, so we decided to get going! We got to the store, Lidl, and it was closed. We went on to Prisma and it was closed, but said it opened at noon. That was okay because we had only 15 minutes, so we biked up to Tokmanni. It too wasn't open but also opened at noon, so by now we should only have to wait 5 minutes. We did and it didn't open. Geez! Back to Prisma, still not open but more cars and people walking around. I looked at a clock inside which said 20 past 12 and John looked at the clock outside on the building gable which said 20 past 11! Oh no! Daylight Savings! We killed time by biking around a car lot looking at Volkswagons, etc. I was hungered so we went to.... McDonalds! Milkshake and fries! I think that was the first time in a LONG time for McDonalds in particular. Then we went to Lidl and went home. I didn't get pictures of the McDonalds, but it was kind of familiar, kind of funky.

Of course it's going to get dark now by 3:30 or so. But guess since I don't have a bike I don't have to worry about packing a light in my bag for the ride home. It's a good thing we went and got light bulbs yesterday though. And I couldn't find any that I thought were full spectrum. Only one was a plant light and it said NOT SUITABLE FOR IN HOME USE. Not sure if it's true, but thought maybe we could find full spectrum some where else. In the meantime we are fairly well lit. 

There's more felting to do! I knit the bootie pattern that Terry gave me a while ago, but this morning I was in the sew-things-up and do-kitchener-stitch mode so I sewed them up too.


It was sunny this morning too! But it didn't last too long...

And one more project ABSOLUTELY finished. The baby sweater to match the hat!


The only issue is that I don't really know how to carry yarn long distances, so I guess I didn't do that great of a job doing it. The grey on upper arm is all bunched and funny textured. I'm not sure if blocking will help. Heck, I've never blocked anything, so I don't really know about it at all. Now all I have to do is rip out and redo John's hat with tighter ribbing. Too bad hats are knit from the brim up...

And another side project that got finished this morning was a mobile of cranes. I started the cranes as soon as I got here thinking maybe about a garland of them, but I think the mobile worked out well too.


It's in a corner of the living room. Maybe I'll pick up some time and take a picture of the whole room. Knitting projects, books and school papers take over very quickly!

I think that's all for now. On my agenda is: returning books to the public library, baking banana bread, knitting baby pants, and downloading more audio books. I finished Around the World in 80 Days. I enjoyed it, but one has to realize how dated it is when talking about the locations and people.

No comments:

Post a Comment