> Eine Familie in Freiburg: Es Schneit!

Monday, November 21, 2011

Es Schneit!

Es ist schone draussen! Es gibt viel Schnee! That is, it is beautiful outside. There is lots of snow. It isn't currently snowing, and I'm always afraid that by saying something I'll jinx it, but there is about an inch or inch and a half. I walked to the store this morning and while it was glorious, it also was a little windy and biting. Even though it feels too early, I might start wearing the baclava, as my neck and cheeks aren't too protected even with a scarf.

Last night we had yet another interesting cultural experience. I say last night, but it was really yesterday afternoon, only it was pitch black by 4:30 pm. I guess we were inadvertently taking Erica's advice to get out of the house even when it's dark. John got an email from someone at the university (they do this every once in a while) about a free classical music concert in the Lutheran Church and about Santa coming to downtown along with a fireworks display.

We arrived at the church a little late and sat down and listened until the piece ended, but the music was coming from the balcony, so we tried to see if we could move up there. Unfortunately, the players were near the doors, so everyone was looking our way as we got to a seat. We found out at this point that is was kids playing, with a few adults mixed in. In about two minutes the song was over. A lot of clapping and presentation of roses happened, and then everyone (the audience and instrumentalists) got up to go. We were quite startled that A) it was over, and B) everyone got up. We did too, since we were blocking a whole bench of people and headed out. It was only about 4:45, when we thought it might last until 5:30 or so.

This gave us some time to stop by the store and get things for breakfast before going to the Market Square for Santa. As we arrived, Santa was arriving too. There were tons of people in the Square, a view vendors selling knit socks, knick nacks, candy, hot drinks, etc, and really cool torches/fire rings on tall stands. No pictures, sorry. We watched for a while as kids performed holidays songs and danced to holiday music on stage as the percurser to Santa. They tried to teach the audience a dance. They sang a little in English (Dashing through the snow with a verse that no one ever sings. "A day or two ago..") Then they sang with Santa. We started to wander away at this point and the fireworks started. I remember looking up at a building with a clock and thermometer. It was 3 deg C and only 17:51. The email from the beginning of the story said the fireworks would be at 6pm, so I guess this person really didn't know what they were talking about. And yet again, when the fireworks ended, everyone walked briskly out of there. It was like there was some event they all knew about somewhere else. It was pretty crazy. No meandering at all! I can't really explain it, but it was distinctly not America.

Getting ready for Thanksgiving. We haven't been able to roasting pan. Hopefully we will soon! Other than that we just have to go shopping for tons of food.

No comments:

Post a Comment