> Eine Familie in Freiburg: Jacket Extender, especially for the babe.

Monday, November 7, 2011

Jacket Extender, especially for the babe.

One day when John and I were on a walk, we saw a women walking with her family. It looked as if she was carrying a baby in a sling or wrap, and I noticed her jacket had two zippers, about a necks width apart. I realized that there was an extra piece of fabric zippered into the jacket, and I wondered if this was a special maternity (as in mother, not pregnant lady) jacket "system". But I also thought That can't be too hard to make yourself.  So the next time we went to the thrift store, I found a zipper (lose in a basket of sewing supplies) that fit into my jacket's zipper. And found a wool scarf that we thought went well.

I brought it all home and commenced to fit the zipper in between two layers of scarf. The scarf was long enough to have a double layer, which is nice because it's an extender for a winter coat!


Okay, I got a pink zipper for a gray and maroon scarf, but whatever. You wouldn't have to try to sandwich the zipper like this. In fact it might be harder to sandwich instead of just making a hem with your fabric and lining it up on the right side with the zipper. My fabric is woven and I didn't make a nice edge. Just slapped it together with hand sewing.


You could do this with any fabric though! You could extend your rain coat or wind breaker or any other jacket. You could even knit something for a cardigan!


I didn't cut it to size right away. I decided to leave a few inches below the bottom of the zipper just in case. I'm not exactly sure in case of what... maybe so it would cover any gap created.


You can see my not-so-nice edges. Make sure you pin it and check that the zippers are lined up right!


That's the finished idea. When the babe comes, I'll add a picture of us using it along with a review!

No comments:

Post a Comment